Saturday, February 21, 2009

Contribution to a more peaceful world

Hunt and I didn't always agree, but I credit him with this good idea that I've held on to and have repeated for others: If we can expose people to art, to live performances, and thus to culture that they were previously unaware of, or misunderstood, and their new understanding causes them to connect with people different than themselves, in a new way, then we as arts administrators can make a difference; that is our contribution to a more peaceful world.

I thought of that recently when I read Tribeca Film Festival is hosting a second Tribeca film festival in Doha, the capital of Qatar, defined as an independent, progressive Arab state. "...The festival aims to bridge the east-west divide and showcase the most innovative films from the region." One leader emphasized developing a healthy climate of freedom of expression.

No comments: