Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the ticket line

Sundance is off to a bustling start. I work long days. I try to see films late into the night. I am sitting in line under a tent right now, waiting to get a comp staff ticket for Mystery Team. Last night, I saw Rudo y Cursi, a film from Mexico making its North American premiere, about two rival brothers played by Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna (both from Y Tu Mama Tambien). It was a beautiful film, and the director, cast, and crew did a Q&A afterward, which was really neat. I was walking down the street talking about it on my cell afterward, and the guy walking behind me says "it was just picked up by this afternoon, by Sony." "Congratulations, it was really great," I said back. Later, I stopped by the post-screening talk back for Spring Breakdown, a new comedy with Amy Poehler and Rachel Dratch from SNL. Someone asked, what was your inspiration for the film? And they replied something to the effect of, dumb stuff you do in college.

Then in the afternoon I snuck out of work for a few hours and saw The Greatest, which is in the US Dramatic Competition. It stars Pierce Brosnan and Susan Sarandon, who were both there, and Carrie Mulligan, a young actress who has TWO movies in Sundance this year. It is about a family who loses a son. It was particularly interesting to hear the screenwriter and director, Shana Feste, speak about the central theme of grief, and how it influenced her upbringing, her father having lost a son before she was born. When she spoke, her expressive gratefulness and graciousness to have her film be selected in Sundance really showed, and made the film more endearing.

More updates soon.

No comments: